Health & Wellness

Each of our four schools has a dedicated school nurse. Students may go to the Health Office for health information, advice, medical questions, illness, medication administration, physical exams and assessments, care of injuries or short rest periods for headache or minor discomforts.

The school nurse will phone parents, when necessary, and assess and administer first aid should a student become ill or injured in school. The nurse will transfer a student to the emergency room via EMS ambulance should a higher level if care be needed or if the parent can not reach the student in a reasonable and safe amount of time. Students will be sent home ill or injured by the nurse with either the parent or a responsible person listed by the parent on the emergency card.

Immunization requirements and physical exams

Students entering seventh and twelfth grades must be vaccinated against meningococcal disease in order to attend school in New York state. Students must have an up-to-date immunization record, which complies with New York State Department of Health requirements.

Education Law requires a physical exam for new entrants and students in Grades Pre-K or K, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11; annually for interscholastic sports; and working papers as needed; or as required by the Committee on Special Education (CSE) or Committee on Preschool Special education (CPSE)

Beginning January 31, 2021, physical examinations for school are to be documented on the NYS Required Health Examination Form or an electronic health record equivalent form. Local pediatricians were advised of this new requirement in May 2020; therefore, your pediatrician should have the required forms on file.

The school district is unable to accept health exam documentation if it is not on the required form or the required health record equivalent. If you have questions, please contact your child’s school nurse and/or pediatrician.

    Oral Health Assessment

    New York State law (Chapter 281) permits schools to request an oral health assessment at the same time a health examination is required. Your child may have a dental check-up during this school year to assess his/her fitness to attend school. View the Forms page to access the dental health certificate.

    NYS Screenings

    All new students enrolling in the district for the first time — along with children entering pre-kindergarten, kindergarten, and grades 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11 in the fall — are required to have a health exam.

    Other changes for students include vision screening for distance and near vision acuity as well as hearing screening within 6 months of admission to school and for students in pre-kindergarten, kindergarten, and grades 1, 3, 5, 7 and 11. In addition, girls in grades 5 and 7, and boys in grade 9 will require scoliosis screenings.

    Students are screened in school for vision, hearing and scoliosis according the New York State mandates. Parents/guardians will be notified of any findings on the screening that would require medical follow-up by their family doctor. The state mandates are:

    • Vision screening – All new students of any age plus grades Pre-K, K, 1, 3, 5, 7, 11
    • Hearing screening – All new students of any age plus grades Pre-K, K, 1, 3, 5, 7, 11
    • Scoliosis screening – Girls grades 5 and 7, and boys in grade 9

    We make every attempt to keep students in class for instruction time. Scoliosis screening is performed during physical education classes.

    Medications in school

    Parents and guardians may drop off medication beginning on the first day of school or thereafter, at any time during school hours. If you need assistance, please contact the nurse at your child’s school so they may help you. Students may not carry or keep medications on their person or in their locker or athletic bags with two exceptions:

    • Rescue asthma inhalers
    • EpiPens

    They must have a prescription from the doctor filed in the Health Office giving administration advisory and permission to carry. All other medications including prescription, over-the-counter medications such as Tylenol, Advil, Midol, sinus medications, eye drops, etc., must have a doctor’s note and be kept in the Health Office.

    All medications must be in each student’s own original containers and properly labeled. The nurse will store all medications and dispense from the Health Office as needed. There are no stock supplies so the student must supply his or her own bottles of medication.

    Medical exemption from physical education classes

    Students are required by the State Education Department to participate in Physical Education classes. If not able to participate, a doctor’s note with the specific restriction and expected time period of restriction must be clearly stated. Students should report to their PE teacher for each PE class for attendance and receive a written packet to be completed in the library and then placed in their teacher’s mailbox. These packets must be done in order to receive credits for the class. PE participation is mandatory to meet graduation credit requirements. Students who have had a medical exemption from PE/sports must have a written clearance to return to participation in their PE class/sport.

    Secondary insurance policy

    A limited accident insurance covers students during school hours as well as intramural and interscholastic athletics (also PE programs) and is provided by the Board of Education. This policy only supplements your own health insurance coverage. Please be aware that the school coverage is secondary. If you are injured while in school and have medical expenses, they must be submitted through your insurance. For more information, contact your school nurse.

    Working papers

    An application for employment must be filled out with social security number, signature of applicant and signature of parent or guardian giving permission. The form must be submitted with a health certification obtained at the health office. One set of working papers are produced for ages 14-16 and a new set for ages 16-18. A recent physical (within one year) is a requirement for all certificates. Physicals for working papers may be done in the Health Office or by your family physician. For more information, contact the Health Office. View the Forms page for the application for employment permit.