As our world becomes increasingly technology dependent, it becomes even more necessary for students to utilize educational technology to become successful citizens. The Goshen Central School District believes that learning must incorporate technology-rich experiences that allow students to easily collaborate, communicate and think critically – the essence of 21st century learning.
Technology Mission Statement
The Goshen Central School District technology mission is to integrate technology to enhance student achievement and literacy; to support standards-based instructional goals and delivery as well as technological literacy for the staff; provide administrative functions and data access through technology; and augment communication within the district and with parents and the community.
The desired outcome of technology integration throughout all aspects of the educational process is to ensure that our students are technologically literate, well-equipped for the work place and/or post-secondary education.
District vision of technology
In the Goshen Central School District, we envision technology:
- Promoting lifelong learning by engaging, challenging, and nurturing diverse learners.
- Supporting the educational process as a tool to access information, analyze and solve problems, think critically, and communicate ideas.
- Being an integral part of the way we work, teach, and learn.
- Promoting 21st Century Skills.
- Meeting student individualized learning needs.
- Being approached in an ethical, responsible, and innovative manner.
IT infrastructure upgrades at Goshen Schools
In February 2017, district residents approved a capital improvement project that made much-needed improvements to the district – including instructional technology infrastructure upgrades in each school building.
More than $4.2 million was spent to improve high speed broadband and wireless connectivity and to install a VoIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) phone system. Approximately $1.3 million of the total cost was allocated to the district by New York State through the Smart Schools Bond Act, which was approved by voters in 2014 to provide school districts with funding for new educational technology and infrastructure improvements.
With the district moving toward an internal 1:1 device/student model and the growing necessity of enhanced technology-based security, these improvements provide a reliable, high performance, secure, managed network system that will fully support our students’ 21st century education.
The VoIP system replaced the existing telephone system whose reliability has been severely diminishing over the years, which will improve district-wide communications and security.
Technology tips for parents/guardians
The Goshen Central School District launched “Gladiator Gateway,” a digital check point for parents and guardians to access the numerous learning applications used in the district.
The purpose of Gladiator Gateway is to provide an organized and convenient online location for parents and guardians to easily access district apps and services – similar to student ClassLink.
To create an account, district parents and guardians must visit https://parents.classlink.com/goshencsd and enter their email address or phone number that they have on file with the district (this is the contact information entered in SchoolTool that can be accessed by viewing your Parent Portal).
For more information and step-by-step instructions, visit https://www.gcsny.org/parents-guardians-create-your-gladiator-gateway-account/ .
Goshen parents/guardians can now access GoGuardian Parent, a mobile app that provides parents/guardians insight and control over their student’s online activity when using school-issued devices and accounts.
Why do I need GoGuardian Parent?
The GoGuardian Parent app allows you to:
- View the websites, apps, extensions, and documents that your student visited while using school devices.
- Set controls on what your student can access on school devices during out-of-school hours (4 p.m. to 7 a.m.).
What is included in the app?
When using the app, you will:
- Be able to view each of your enrolled children’s online activities. This includes a Top 5 overview and a 30-day overview.
- See any teacher interventions related to your student’s online activity.
- View an active list of what your child accessed.
- Block websites on school-issued devices during out-of-school hours.
- Be able to pause or schedule internet access on school devices during out-of-school hours.
How do I download GoGuardian Parent?
To access the app, please follow the below instructions:
- Download the app via Apple or Google Play
- Once installed, open the app and enter the email address you have registered with the district in SchoolTool/Parent Portal. A link will then be emailed to that email address.
- On your phone, open the GoGuardian Parent email and tap “Verify your email.” You can also login using the verification code from the email.
If you need assistance, please view the GoGuardian Parent tutorial on the district’s YouTube channel.
GoGuardian Parent will provide students with additional educational support and is a companion to the district’s existing internet filtering tools. If you have any questions, contact Instructional Technology Coordinator email@example.com.
Departments & Services Links
Instructional Technology contact
Computer Network Administrator
Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum, Instruction, Personnel & Technology
K-12 Technology Coordinator
- Acceptable Use Policies
- Smart Schools Bond Act
- District Technology Plan
- Student Data Privacy
- Parent Bill of Rights for Data Privacy and Security