Update 12:46 p.m.: Hold-in-place lifted, police deem threat non-credible

12:46 p.m.: The Goshen Police Department has lifted the hold-in-place at Goshen High School.

Both the Village of Goshen Police and the New York State Police thoroughly checked the cell phones of each student who was present in the gym class when the air drop message was received; at this time, its origin is still yet to be determined. The police department is continuing its investigation and has deemed the threat as non-credible.

Out of an abundance of caution, there will be additional police officers on site at Goshen High School for the remainder of the day, as well as tomorrow, Oct. 7. In addition, district officials will examine the school calendar’s upcoming events to determine whether they may be affected by this situation. Safety is our number one priority.

The school cafeteria will begin serving students immediately, with a new group of students being served every 15 to 20 minutes. District officials recognize that an event such as this may be traumatic for some students; our counselors are available should any student need support.

The district would like to thank the Town of Goshen Police Department and the New York State Police Department for their assistance; their cooperation is pivotal to keeping our students and employees safe.

11:13 a.m.: As per the Goshen Police Department, there is no indication of a weapon or explosive; however, as a precaution, the State Police has brought in a trained detection dog to track for any explosives, gun powder, or related residue. The school is still in a hold-in-place while the State Police continues its investigation.

10:24 a.m.: The Goshen Police Department has found no indication of a weapon. They are investigating students’ phones in order to trace the source of the threat while the hold-in-place remains. We will continue to work closely with the police department and will update our families again when more information is released. The district and the police department take any threat against our schools very seriously, and we are grateful for our families’ continued partnership during this stressful situation.

9:23 a.m.: The building is secure and the hold-in-place remains while the Goshen Police actively investigate the threatening message. The building will be released by the police once it is deemed safe and clear. We recognize that this is a difficult situation for our families, and thank you for your patience and cooperation.

8:48 a.m.: During a first period gym class at Goshen High School, a student reported that they had received via aid drop a message about “shooting up the school.” The school immediately enacted its hold-in-place protocol and the Goshen Police Department is on site investigating the matter. We will follow up with more information as soon as possible.