Absentee Ballots: Print applications, view common questions

Q: Will absentee ballots be mailed to registered voters?

A: No. Absentee ballots will not be mailed to all registered voters as they were for last year’s unprecedented school budget vote. Qualified voters who would need to vote by absentee ballot must submit an application.

Q: Who can request an absentee ballot?

A: Qualified voters can request an absentee ballot if they will not be able to vote in person due to illness or physical disability, hospitalization, incarceration (unless incarcerated for a felony), travel outside the voter’s county or city of residence for employment or business reasons, studies, or vacation on the day of election.

Voters who are concerned with the risk of spreading or contracting COVID-19 may also vote by absentee ballot, according to legislation signed by Governor Andrew Cuomo on April 26. The legislation states that voters requesting an absentee ballot for this reason should indicate that they are requesting a ballot due to illness.

Q: How and when can I request an absentee ballot?

A: To vote by absentee ballot, you must fill out an application. To request an application, contact District Clerk Maureen Farrell at 845-615-6720. You can also print the application for absentee ballots below:

Q: When should I submit my absentee ballot application?

A: Applications may not be submitted more than 30 days prior to the election (April 18). If you would like your absentee ballot mailed to you, you must submit your application at least seven days before the vote (May 11) If you want to pick your ballot up from the district, you must submit your application one day before the vote (May 17).

Q: I received my absentee ballot. Now what?

A: Once you receive your ballot, carefully read and follow the directions for filling out the ballot. Then, sign and date the envelope where indicated. If your envelope is unsigned, your vote cannot be legally counted.

Q: I made a mistake. Can I get a new  ballot?

A: If you tear, deface or wrongly mark your ballot, contact District Clerk Maureen Farrell at 845-615-6720 for instructions on how to obtain a new ballot.

Q: How should I send my ballot back to the district?

A: Ballots may be returned by mail or hand delivered to the district clerk at 227 Main Street, Goshen. Ballots must be received by 5 p.m. the day of the budget vote (May 18).

Q: What happens when the district receives my ballot?

A: The district will collect and hold onto all the ballots until the day of the vote. Ballots will be separated from the envelope that bears your name, return address, or other personally identifiable information before they are

Q: Who should I contact if I have more questions?

A: Please contact District Clerk Maureen Farrell at 845-615-6720.