Dear Goshen Schools family,
Due to the rising number of positive cases of COVID-19 throughout the county, the Goshen Central School District will enter a two-week “pause” and transition to all remote instruction beginning Monday, Nov. 30.
This decision comes per the strong recommendation of Dr. Irina Gilman, Commissioner of Health of the Orange County Department of Health (OCDOH). As you are aware, the local community — as well as most of the country — is experiencing a rise in positive cases of COVID-19. This, in addition to concerns about adherence to travel and social distancing guidelines surrounding the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday, has fueled our decision to temporarily switch to remote learning.
We do not take the decision to close our schools lightly; however, our biggest priority will always be the safety and health of our students and employees. To do so, we must follow the recommendations and expertise of medical specialists at the department of health. We apologize for any inconvenience and hardship that this may cause your family.
Please be assured that we have been preparing and developing a plan to enable us to successfully pivot to remote instruction. Over the next few days, we will work to ensure that you have the necessary resources and materials for remote academic instruction.
Please note the following details about the two-week “pause” for Goshen Schools:
- The two-week “pause” begins Monday, Nov. 30.
- Schools will reopen for in-school learning on Monday, Dec. 14.
- All students will learn remotely during this time.
- Synchronous instruction will continue on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays for all students.
- Wednesdays will continue to be half-days of instruction: asynchronous for grades 6-12 and a combination of asynchronous and synchronous for grades K-5, based on student needs and teachers’ discretion.
- Athletics will be “on pause” during the two-week pause period.
- If your student needs technology support, please complete the Community Technical Support Request form.
- Meal distribution will continue during the two-week “pause” and will be held from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Wednesdays in the C. J. Hooker Middle School back parking lot. If you are in need of accommodations, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 845-615-6492 or 6491.
- More information will be shared with you from your building administrators.
As a reminder, please continue to follow the directives from the OCDOH and the Center for Disease Control (CDC) to wash your hands, wear a mask and practice social distancing, especially with the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday. We recognize the desire to be reunited with family and friends over the holidays, especially during these trying times; however, your continued help is necessary so that our schools can remain open for in-person instruction for as long as possible.
I wish you all the healthiest and happiest Thanksgiving. Please be well, and if you have any questions, please reach out to your building administrators.
Daniel T. Connor
Superintendent of Schools