Goshen Central School District faculty and staff kicked off the school year on September 3 during its annual opening day program, which also honored long-term employees.
Superintendent Daniel Connor welcomed back employees and wished everyone a happy and productive school year. Connor mentioned the numerous improvements at the high school as part of the district’s capital improvement project, and thanked everyone – especially the Buildings and Grounds and Maintenance workers – for their hard work and patience over the summer. Once complete, project will create 21st century learning environments, address safety and security, modernize the performing arts program and auditorium and upgrade the athletic facilities at Goshen High School.
Connor also reminded employees about the Athletic Facilities and High School Addition Grand Opening Celebration on September 7, and invited them to attend.
Board of Education President Jason Pucci addressed the crowd and asked staff members to ask themselves how they can help leave a positive impression on the students in the district. He also reinforced how appreciative the Board of Education is of its employees, who they regard as the best in Orange County.
The gathering culminated with the recognition of the following employees for completion of 20, 25 and 30 years of service:
- Stephen Donachie, social studies teacher at Goshen High School
- Brenda Megello, science teacher at Goshen High School
- Mary Ellen Nutley, secretary to the assistant superintendent for curriculum, instruction, personnel and technology
- Jennifer Rough, fourth grade teacher at Goshen Intermediate School
- Helen Rueckert, math teacher at C. J. Hooker Middle School
- Darlene Ferraro, secretary at Goshen Intermediate School
- Floyd Frawley, school bus driver
- Patricia Antisin, fifth grade teacher at Goshen Intermediate School
- Patricia Gaer, science teacher at Goshen High School
- Edmund Long, head custodian at Goshen Intermediate School
- Kimberly Longo, music teacher at Goshen High School
- John Mardyniak, physical education teacher at C. J. Hooker Middle School
- Don Spoor, head maintenance worker