On January 6, the Goshen Science Olympiad Junior Team competed at the Rustin Invitational in West Chester, Pennsylvania, against top teams from Virginia, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware and Connecticut.
Goshen competed against 60 teams in 25 different events, including ecology, epidemiology, forensic science, meteorology, microbiology, optics, and thermodynamics. Student’s engineering capabilities were also tested in events that included building towers, balsa wood planes, roller coasters, hovercrafts, and battery powered vehicles. The team’s success is a collaborative effort; individual ranking in events determines the team’s overall score.
Students competed in pairs; the top 10 teams in each event were recognized for their efforts. Goshen students placed in many of their individual events at the competition:
- Arun Foster and Cora Pahucki: Third place, Towers
- Imaan Beg and Ryan Mistretta: Third place, Roller Coasters
- Ben Pahucki and Andrew Rampulla: Sixth Place, Rocks & Minerals
- Ryan Mistretta and Cora Pahucki: Sixth Place, Rocks & Minerals
- Rohan Chhabra and Matthew Barbrack: Eighth Place, Battery Buggy
- Xander Danella and Jackson Diglio: Eighth Place, Meteorology
- Nahal Jangda and Ryan Mistretta: Eighth Place, Disease Detectives
- Ben Pahucki and Andrew Rampulla: Tenth Place, Meteorology
The members of the Junior Science Olympiad Team are Carlos Alicea, Matthew Barbrack, Jason Barnes, AJ Bauer, Imaan Beg, Wyatt Boyle, Rohan Chhabra, Kylie Danella, Xander Danella, Jackson Diglio, Dan Fellenzer, Arun Foster, Kapil Foster, Carlos Garcia, Nahal Jangda, Zachary Jessup, Gabe Kaufman, Yasir Khan, Kaylee Kohn, Francis McGuinness, Alex Mistretta, Ryan Mistretta, Ben Pahucki, Cora Pahucki, Ysabela Paneto, Eesha Ramanathan, Andrew Rampulla, Hunter Roberts, Bryce Rodriguez, Ekamjot Singh, Tanvir Singh, and Brooke Torres.
The Senior Science Olympiad Team will head to the Yale Division C Invitational on January 27 and both the Junior and Senior Teams will compete at the Cornell Invitational on February 24.
Goshen’s Science Olympiad Teams are led by Head Coach Becky DenDanto and assisted by coaches Laura Muller and Warren Young.
To learn more about the Goshen Science Olympiad Club, visit goshenscioly.wixsite.com/scioly.