C. J. Hooker Middle School students fared well at the 2017 Olympics of the Visual Arts (OVA) competition at Saratoga Springs City Center.
The following students placed in the competition:
- Industrial Design, first place: Areli Cruz, Elizabeth Aguilar, Ada Sarah Bowman-Carroll, Christina Angelo, Gwen Aitchison, Jessica Bailey, Raquel Martinez, Taylor Foremny, Anya Frey, Alana Blount
- Painting, first place: Sara Tippin, Violet Bachorick, Sarah Zhang
- Photo, second place: Alex Thurtle, Maya Northrup, Lauren Scarzafava, Alex Barnes
- Fashion, second place: Jillian Noteboom, Kaitlyn Gati, Brianna VanSteenburgh, Sophia Denardo, Catherine Moody, Hannah Yeddu, Katie Crandall
- Architecture, second place: Holly Bachorik, Madilyn Bunzey, Jade Kimmel, Jillian Welshoff, Pauline Archer, Shannon Toohey, Sara Higgins, Ben Pahucki, Andrew Svede,* Tallon Clark*
- Sculpture, third place: Lexi Siracusa, Ava Kunis, Rebecca Serna, Vivi Lyrintzis, Maura Atlas, Annie Shih*
The Olympics of the Visual Arts (OVA) program provides an opportunity for students to participate in individual or group artistic problem solving. A new series of problems is posed every fall. Students create long-range solutions at their schools, and travel to the Albany area to compete on short-range problems in a day-long celebration of creativity. There are awards for each of the problem categories at every level.
* Not on trip.