On February 4, the Goshen High School Senior Science Olympiad Team placed eighth at the 2017 New York Mid-Hudson Regional Division C competition at SUNY Ulster. Throughout the day, 30 teams competed in 25 different events including biology, chemistry, earth science, physics, computers, robotics, and engineering in the STEM competition.
This year’s team is made up of 12 members: three seniors, two sophomores, and seven freshmen. Each student participated in 3-5 events, competing in pairs. The top six teams in each event are awarded medals.
Science Olympiad is one of the premier science competitions in the nation, providing rigorous science-based challenges to 7,600 teams in 50 states. Science Olympiad’s ever-changing line-up of events provides multi-discipline proficiency, develops critical thinking skills, and builds skill sets essential to today’s STEM workforce.
The following students won medals in their individual events at the Regional competition:
- Daniel Allspach and Jared Hludzinski: third place, Robot Arm
- Andrew Hablow and Caitlin Hough: fifth place, Dynamic Planet
- Jehan Beg and Spencer Doyle: fifth place, Electric Vehicle
- Daniel Allspach and Jehan Beg: fifth place, Remote Sensing
- Caitlin Hough and Jocelyn Marone: sixth place, Hydrogeology
- Andrew Hablow and Rachel Li: sixth place, Rock & Minerals
- Andrew Hablow and Cameron Teeple: sixth place, Towers
- Andrew Hablow and Jocelyn Marone: sixth place, Wind Power
The members of the Goshen Senior Science Olympiad Team are Daniel Allspach, Jehan Beg, Spencer Doyle, Andrew Hablow, Caitlin Hough, Jared Hludzinski, Sydney Jessup, Rachel Li, Anya Malhotra, Jocelyn Marone, Cameron Teeple, and Donovan Teeple.